Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Health Update

Oh the health woes of our children.

Evan: Healthy. Doing great. Hasn't been sick in awhile (knock on wood). Still on reflux meds but only needs his evening dose and I am thinking we can get rid of that at the next appt. Woo Hoo!

Griffin: Other than the obvious autism he is doing very well.

Oscar: A royal mess. :( This poor kid has a lot of junk going on. He has been on antibiotics at least once a month since August. He has had croup twice, swine flu with secondary pnuemonia which was scary, 6 ear infections, and a sinus infection. All since August.

He also has raging eczema, constant mucus in his nose.

They are sending him to an ENT for possible tubes. Yes, please.

They are sending him to an allergist who will also check him for asthma. They are thinking that he may have allergy induced asthma. The mucus keeps getting worse and plugging his ears and then turning into infections.

The asthma sounds right to me because he has always had breathing issues. He has been in the hospital several times due to apnea that is worsened by colds or infections. I just hope they find the answer and get him feeling better.

The good thing is that he is so happy through it all.

Hallie:

We went to the gastroenterologist today and she had gained 4 oz. It is a different scale but it still made me happy. She had also grown 2 inches. I really really wish she would gain some weight.

I think she looks way too skinny and a bit sickly. She is still the most beautiful thing I have ever seen but it just makes me nervous to see her so skinny.

They got her reflux at a fairly good point but she does still spit up quite a bit. We are going to try more formula to get her more calories and using one that is antiregurgitation. sigh. expensive. They also feel like she does not have the muscle tone they are hoping for. She needs more tummy time and for us to work with her on this.

She has an appointment in April for a sweat electrolyte test and also an appointment with an endrocrinologist. They are looking for thyroid issues and glandular issues as well.

She is such a sweetheart. Today she was just giggling so much. She does this adorable little snort when she laughs. I will try and get a video of it because you just can't understand until you see it.

We are truly blessed. I feel like although we have these trials that they are relatively small and we have the ability to get them taken care of. More importantly we are able take advantage of the power of the priesthood and priesthood blessings. In fact, I think I will do that tomorrow.

3 comments:

Lindsay said...

I was reading up on milk the other day (Prevention Magazine...don't ask) and they said that the enzymes in milk are a magical solution to help eczema. So - 1 part milk, 1 part water, soak a towel, then press it to the affected area for a little while. do this daily - a couple of times a day. Good luck.

Lebanites said...

OK, I can no longer complain about Elliott's health issues. Your kids have certainly had their mortal experiences early huh? I can not get over the fact that YOU offered to help ME. That is so you, Ruth...always thinking of others. Thank you. Just knowing you care is more than enough. Franklin House is calling us....

Emily said...

You definitely deserve the Mother of the Year Award. It takes someone special to be the mother of so many children who need all your love and attention in more ways than just the "usual." You are an inspiration and truly blessed to see your situation in such a positive way when so many would complain.


I'm not fat for my height. I'm short for my weight.