Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Little girl

So Hallie is a tiny little thing. At first it was cute. Then it was strange. (I'm used to chubby babies) Then it was worrisome. Then it was scary. Now we are back to worrisome.

She has not been gaining weight for the past 6-8 weeks but we really haven't been too worried. A couple of weeks ago our pediatrician told me to bring her in for weekly weight checks so we can graph her weight and really see what we are dealing with.

Last Friday she lost 3 or 4oz. At the time I wasn't too worried. On Monday he called me and said that he wanted to run "the gamut" of tests to make sure that they weren't missing anything. This is a critical time in her development and if something is going on they really wanted to make sure they caught it. Then he mentioned cystic fibrosis, which totally freaked me out.

I took her within hours to the lab to get the testing done. He had ordered several blood tests, urine, fecal fat, and a sweat electrolyte test. We got the blood work taken care of and the urine and fecal will just be a matter of time. The sweat test is scheduled for April 6.

He called me today with the results he has so far and it looks like hyperthyroidism. They haven't ruled anything out completely or made a final diagnosis. They are running more tests with the blood they had on hand and will know soon.

I am much happier with this than the alternative, as you can imagine.

Man, these kids are giving me a run for the money. None of them are too sick...just enough to drive me crazy. I do feel blessed and really don't feel like we deal with all that much. As someone once told me, it doesn't always seem huge to you when you are going through it. Sometimes it seems harder looking from the outside in than being right in the middle of it.

I find at times that it is harder for me when those I love are going through something and I can't help them at all then when I am going through something. Maybe I feel more in control. Who knows.

Prayers are always welcome.

5 comments:

Lynette said...

I'm so sorry you have to deal with all of this. Having a kid with health issues is super stressful, even minor issues. Little Hallie is super cute and i hope you get things figured out soon!

Heidi said...

Hope all the tests come back with a good diagnosis. We will keep you all in our prayers.

Kris said...

We will keep your family in our prayers. I agree when you are going through the rough times they don't seem as rough as when someone you love is going through hard times and you can't help.

Anna McKeown said...

You've got our prayers. We love you and miss you and your little family!

nicole said...

Hey ruth! You are such a trooper! I remember Josh had to have all those tests for CF too(because of weight issues and it runs in John's family) Not fun and very scary! We even had to do the gene screen. He only had one gene and you need two for it to be a problem. I think things like this are really hard but you always seem to do great with them. Hang in there- miss you guys!


I'm not fat for my height. I'm short for my weight.